Golf Course Reviewing

Golf Course Reviewing 


I have always been someone who ranks things and have done this. I will often be the person who will ask and answer questions around ‘Top 10’s’. Whether it be asking and answering questions about Top 10 all time footballer with mates in general conversation at the pub over a beer or now to questions around subjects around golf after or during a round.

Since I started golfing I have taken an interest in reading articles around the best courses in the world. The Top 100 lists that list the best courses in the UK for example. With Northamptonshire not offering up many courses at this level it led me to finding articles published about my home county of Northamptonshire and the Top 10 courses in Northamptonshire.

Northamptonshire is somewhere I have called home all of my life and I have played twelve out of the twenty five courses the county has to offer and I am familiar with the viewpoints golf in the county so feel I have a good understanding of what would be the best courses in the county anyway. However I found some of the publications dedicated to Northamptonshire very conflicting to my own thoughts and against each other’s.

In 2015 for example, Today’s Golfer published its version of the Top 10 courses in my home county, which ended in these results;
  1. Northamptonshire County
  2. Brampton Heath
  3. Overstone
  4. Collingtree Park
  5. Wellingborough
  6. Northampton
  7. Kettering
  8. Kingsthorpe
  9. Staverton
  10. Cold Ashby
Compare this to www.top100golfcourses.com which is different and led me even more passionately to find out for myself. The top100golfcourse.com rankings are;
  1. Northamptonshire County
  2. Wellingborough
  3. Collingtree Park
  4. Northampton
  5. Brampton Heath
  6. Peterborough Milton
  7. Kettering
  8. Kingsthorpe
  9. Overstone
  10. Staverton
I am not sure how these courses were measured in deciding their rankings. For example take a course like Overstone where one publication ranks it so high compared to the other one ranking it just inside the Top 10. This got me thinking that I need to tackle my golf course ranking and reviewing in a completely unbiased and consistent way. As I am a golfer who has not got any affiliations or memberships I feel I can be completely independent and give my views and speak honestly.

I decided I would measure courses on the following scoring system;

Courses will be rated out of 100.

Landscape and Scenery (out of 10)
Based purely on how things look aesthetically on the course, what the scenery is like as you are playing, is the course and the surroundings man made or is it more natural.

Course Design and Test (out of 10)
This is where the course is judged as a whole in terms of the challenge as test presented to myself. Differences in hole design will be looked at, is there a balance between lengths and variation of holes, is there a variety in terms of the type of holes on the course.

Fairway Condition (out of 10)
Judging the fairways takes into consideration how well kept they are. Are they good for the conditions of the time of year played? Are they kept well by the staff employed at the course? How well cut are they and is there a clear variation between rough and fairway?

Green Condition (out of 10)
Are the greens looking green? Are they consistent in how they play in terms of being smooth, well cut and prepared well? Fringes and grass around the greens will also be looked at and judged also.

Hazards (out of 10)
Looking at a variation of hazards here and whether they are looked after well. Bunkers need to be well maintained with sand that is of a good quality. Do the hazards make the course challenging. If there are water hazards are they kept well and how are the roughs and natural hazards kept and maintained.

Practice Facilities and Amenities (out of 10)
Looking at what is offered off the golf course. In terms of the practice facilities is there a driving range that is floodlit, driving area, putting area, chipping, bunkers to practice out of. In the poor weather when play cannot take place on course are their simulators available to book and use?

Clubhouse & Overall Cleanliness (out of 10)
My main focus is around the golf and the course but this should also carry onto the cleanliness or the course and club. The clubhouse will be looked at and appreciated in terms of what is the menu like, how is it priced, is the bar area stocked with a lot to offer. Finally what is offered for the golfer in terms of cleaning, changing rooms, toilets etc.  

Pro-Shop (out of 10)
What will score well is what the pro-shop is like. Does the shop have a good variety of products that could be overlooked in packing the bag. Snacks and drinks are a must along with ball markers, balls, scorecards. Personally because of my irrational love of club branded wares points will be given for this as well.

Access & Parking (out of 10)
This is an area of the ranking which does not always get considered but is important enough to be included. What is the access and parking like? Is there enough parking, how is the access, does the course have good security?

Value for Money and Experience (out of 10)
Every golf course has its merits and not all courses cost the earth. But what is being ranked here is whether the course has good value for money. Does the rest of the areas ranked match the cost of a round at said course? The experience of the round and course will also make up the points for this area. A round of golf should be a pleasurable experience and a good round experience will score well here.

Hope you enjoy my reviews of courses look out for the first one...my review of Delapre Golf Club coming soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Golfing Goals/Resolutions for 2021

Pytchley Golf Club Review

Kilworth Springs Golf Course Review